Whether moving across the street or across the country, the Moving Checklist is a handy reminder of things to do and people to inform regarding your new location.
- Complete a “Change of Address” form at a USPS post office
- Friends and relatives
- Notify your employer
- Notify any delivery services
- Notify your gardener
- Notify your housecleaners
- Credit card companies (including all store and department store credit cards)
- Banks and Credit Unions
- Notify credit monitoring service (i.e. Lifelock if any)
- Notify Insurance Companies such as Life, Health, Property, Auto, Dental, etc.)
- Make sure Property Insurance Coverage for your new house is in place
- Update your doctors, dentists etc.
- Update your pharmacies
- Update your veterinarian’s office
- Update Health Insurers such as HMOs, agencies and brokers
- Get school transcripts (some districts require that they be sent directly from the prior school)
- Notify cable, gas, electric, water, telephone, fuel, and garbage companies
- Get refunds on any deposits made
- Return cable boxes, remote controls etc.
- Cancel Alarm service
DON’T FORGET TO:
- Carry enough cash or traveler’s checks to cover cost of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections in new city
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself, or use registered mail
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves to be sure they are empty
- Leave old keys, garage door openers, broiler pans, house plans and instruction manuals needed by new owner with real estate agent
- Have new address recorded on driver’s license and car registration (DMV)
- Visit city offices and register to vote
- Update any Toll passes such as fasttrak etc.
- Update any memberships such as health clubs and wine clubs
- Update any subscription services such as newspapers, magazines, netflix etc.
- Arrange movers ahead of time (at least 2 to 3 weeks)